Saturday, May 16, 2009

Springtime in Alaska

Ahhh... spring.  It's finally here!  Plants in the garden are coming up, time to take the feeders down and just enjoy the birds in the trees.  I'm continuing to develop my novice birder skills, trying to ID by sight/sound the birds I've run into so far.  Here are my favorites from this spring:
  • ruby-crowned kinglets (lots!)
  • yellow-rumped warblers (one pair many times)
  • scaups (greater or lesser, I couldn't tell)
  • varied thrush
The weather in southcentral AK has been amazing lately.  The cottonwoods are like perfume right now, intoxicating, and I love it.  They draw you out of doors, convince you to leave your books and computer behind to play in the sunshine with friends.  I wonder how people in continuously nice climates get anything done?

No comments:

Post a Comment