Sunday, March 29, 2009

willpower, marshmallows, and the rest of my life

So Todd and Libby were going skiing yesterday and I was faced with a dilemma.  Do what I really wanted to do (a day skiing with good friends) or do what I really should do (study for my WFR class).  I ended up studying, which is good for me in the long run but pretty darn difficult right now.   

After finishing up my studies, I downloaded the latest radiolab podcast.  (I *love* radiolab, by the way.)  I listened to "Mischel's Marshmallows," which talked about a Columbia psych prof's experiments with children and willpower.  Basically, giving a kid the choice between one marshmallow now or lots of marshmallows later, then leaving them alone with the one and seeing how long they can hold out.  delayed gratification... some can hold out, some give in right away, most could make it about 7 minutes.  Anyways, he checked back in with a bunch of these kids later in life and found that those who could hold out longer for the marshmallows when they were kids did better later in life (better grades, higher SAT scores, stuff like that).  

No one really knows if this willpower is hardwired, due to parenting/experience, or some combination.  But geez, I don't think I could hold out very long for a marshmallow.  In fact, after listening to this I baked brownies for Jon and couldn't even wait until the flour was added to taste them.  That's way less than seven minutes.  Does this mean I'm screwed?  Maybe passing on skiing balances this out...  wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment